As the holidays draw near, it’s easy to start thinking: “How am I going to stay on track with nutrition? What about a frequent fitness plan?”
At Farrell’s, we give you the tools to stay on track. Staying focused on nutrition and exercise will keep you accountable to your long-term goals.
You can start developing healthy habits now by trying a free week of fitness classes at FXB Elk River. Here are a few other ideas to help you get through the approaching season while still pursuing your goals.
4 Helpful Tips to Navigate the Holiday Season
1. Set Your Alarm Clock
Complete your workout right away when you get up if your schedule permits it. The last few months of the year are busy, but it’s better to tick your workout off your to-do list—instead of telling yourself you’ll make it up another day.
2. Plan Your Meals
It’s easier to plan your meals a few days ahead of time, instead of making bad decisions when you’re hungry and without a dinner plan. Our Simple Meal Plan makes grocery shopping and meal planning easy. Contact us to receive your copy.
If you’re going out to eat during the weekend, modify your meals during the week to keep your nutrition as balanced as possible.
Related: 6 Reasons Why Farrell’s Nutrition Works
Sample Weekday Meal Plan
Here’s an example of a weekly meal plan you can customize:
- Breakfast: healthy protein shake
- Lunch: nutrient-filled salad with fresh veggies and protein
- Dinner: chicken with a salad, acorn squash or sweet potato
Here’s a simple brined chicken recipe from AllSpice Culinarium in Des Moines.
You only need two ingredients:
- One whole chicken
- All Spice Brining Mix (half packet)
- Boil 3 cups of water in a small saucepan. Add in a half packet of the brining mix and boil until the crystals dissolve.
- While you are waiting for the brine, rinse the chicken under cold water. Place the chicken in a large stockpot with cold water and ice until the chicken is fully submerged. Pour brine into the stockpot and stir to consistently distribute.
- Cover with a lid and refrigerate overnight. The following day, rinse the chicken before roasting it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the chicken in a roasting pan, breast side up and brush olive oil or butter over the chicken. (Optional: Stuff with celery and onion.)
- Bake uncovered for 75 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees. Toward the end of baking, broil your chicken if you want it browned.
- Remove from oven and let the chicken rest for 15-20 minutes.
You can also follow this recipe to make your Thanksgiving turkey. If cooking turkey, use the whole packet of brining mix.
3. Take a Cozy Break
Get your favorite blanket, find a cozy spot and take a nap. A 30-minute nap is refreshing and helps you stay healthy during the busy holiday season.
If you need help sleeping, check out the Calm app. You’ll rest soundly and wake to a pleasant chorus of birds, not a loud phone alarm.
4. Enjoy the Season
Remember to find joy in the upcoming busy season.
- Schedule a meal with loved ones
- Decrease your daily stress by spending time on Sundays meal planning
- Relax when you need it
Build Healthy Habits Today with FXB
Now is the time to begin building healthy habits to carry you through the holidays. At Farrell’s Elk River, we’ll instruct you on nutrition, exercise and more. Get started now by claiming your free week of classes with us.