Let’s be real, nutrition is one of the hardest changes our [[companyame1]] members undergo, but it’s also the most rewarding. Healthy eating in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and trends are always emerging.
Diets don’t lead to long-term success. Why? Because most diets focus on cutting back on something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also impractical. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the right way to perform properly. Depriving your body of vital nutrients is harmful to both your physical and mental health. In addition, research determined that only 1% of people who diet by themselves actually get rid of their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important pillar of our program. Since our original 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same approach when it comes to nutrition—keeping it easy! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in how you eat.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” put into our food have considerably changed over the years. We teach our members about making healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to meet their goals.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program unique?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important element of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to indulge every once in a while, it’s become normal in our society creating an epidemic of obesity. Our members are taught that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that manner. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t keep track of calories! We don’t focus on calories because numerous foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a higher fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more important than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific approach to figure out your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This helps you determine how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, enabling your body to stay in “burn mode” instead of “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to consume good fat as it supplies our bodies with needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get elsewhere.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food enters our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is consumed, our bodies go into “store mode” turning excess sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members consume smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to replenish the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program realistic. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members are allowed to celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they can have those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you go at your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly composed of water, so drinking enough water is essential to our total health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps relieve muscle stiffness. Our members strive to drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help make you feel full faster, allowing you to keep portions in check.
So, you could spend lots of money on fad diets, specific meals that count points, counting calories or removing every delicious food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the expense of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and discover how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat regular, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and increase your confidence and energy.
Find a location to learn more about our comprehensive program and to sign up! You won’t believe how much you can transform in only 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread daily with the Farrell's program too!